We follow the academically rigorous and respected English National Curriculum. This syllabus begins with the Early Years Foundation Stage and continues right up to the IGCSE years of study and examinations. For the final two years of school we offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
The English National Curriculum:
- Sets out the most important knowledge and skills that every child has a right to learn
- Gives standards that measure how well children are achieving in each subject so that teachers can plan to help them do better
- Is a framework given to the teachers by the UK government so that all school children are taught in a way that is balanced and manageable, but difficult enough to challenge them
A more formal structure ensures that children develop their potential in all areas of the National Curriculum, but especially in the core subjects of English, Maths and Science. The subjects offered are tailored to the age and abilities of the students, but all will cover the following:
- English (including as an additional language -EAL)
- Science (specialising later into Physics, Biology, Chemistry)
- Information and Communication Technology
- Personal, Social and Health Education
- Physical Education
The complete National Curriculum (England) can be accessed from the link below to the Direct Gov UK website.
The British International School Shanghai, while basing its curriculum on the UK model, also reflects the locality of the school in Shanghai, China. We provide an appreciation of the different cultures and the international experience of our students.