• Learn more about China

    From public life to getting visas prepared, learn more here.

  • Where to live?

    This is one of the most important decisions when you move to Shanghai, get an overview here.

  • Things to do

    Shanghai has an abundance of activities for families and young children.

  • Directory

    Useful contacts and emergency information for life in Shanghai

  • Our Schools in Shanghai

    Learn more about our two campuses in Shanghai, Pudong and Puxi

  • Shanghai Life

    Now you have settled into Shanghai, its time to explore its rich history and culture.

Administrative Preparations

The process of moving to Shanghai begins with the administrative matters. Do not put them off. In fact, this is the only part of the moving process you cannot put off, as China is strict about its bureaucratic procedures and you don’t want your transition to be interrupted by a preventable hiccup.

    Ship any necessary items through a private company such as DHL or FedEx. But remember, pretty much everything can be purchased in Shanghai. If you are shipping items to China, make a detailed inventory of all shipped and stored items. Here are some of the administrative matters to consider before you leave for China:

    Visas & Documents 

    This is a key issue and should be your top priority, especially if you are travelling with children. All visitors, including tourists, require a visa. These are obtained through a Chinese embassy or consulate. Most tourists are issued with a single- or double-entry visa valid for 90 days with the possibility to extend. Processing times and costs vary by consulate so allow at least a week, although many consulates can expedite the process for an additional fee. Americans tend to have to pay a great deal more than citizens of other countries. Costs and waiting times are subject to change, so consult the Chinese consulate website as the time draws near. Business and student visas are usually multiple entry valid for three to six months, and allow the visitor to stay for the full specified period. They require a letter from the business or university. Long-term residency requires a residence permit. The formidable amount of paperwork needed for a working visa includes at least ten passport photos – one for each of the ten application forms necessary. It is a five-step process that begins with a tourist visa. Employers will need to help you with the process, and they should be familiar with the procedures. 

    Visa Types

    For an up to date overview of types of Visa, you can visit the government website here (English).

    L - Issued to those who intend to go to China as a tourist.

    F - Issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.

    X - Issued to those who intend to study in China.

    Z - Issued to those who intend to work in China.

    If you are moving to Shanghai as a family, you will need to bring medical records, as schools and universities will require these. You must also be prepared to provide your child’s previous school records and birth certificate. Contact your child’s current and previous schools as soon as possible to get the process moving. Even if you are not going to enrol in an international school, bringing at least a copy of your birth certificate is a good idea. This document is especially helpful at a consular office in the event that something happens to your passport. 

       Here is a list of documents to bring for a long-term stay in Shanghai:

    • Passport and visa
    • Extra passport-size photos 
    • Children’s birth certificates (copy for adults)
    • Marriage certificate
    • Children’s school records 
    • Diploma and CV (for applying for work permit)   
    • Driving licence (serves as back-up ID and allows you to obtain a Chinese licence)
    • Inventory of everything shipped 
    • Medical records


    Address & Phone

    Send change of address notices to banks and credit card companies. Even if you don’t yet have a permanent address in Shanghai, you should let your bank know that you are in China. Many banks block use of debit or credit cards in foreign countries if they have not been officially notified of the user’s travel plans. Check to see if your phone will work in China. However, if it is a long-term move, it is a better idea to drop or suspend your phone plan and get a Chinese phone number. This process is easy and inexpensive once you arrive in Shanghai.